|Description:The Lockport Gallery features changing exhibitions of art created by past and contemporary Illinois artists and artisans. Also offered are educational and interpretive events, tours and outreach activities. The Gallery was formerly located on the second and third floors of the Gaylord Building, Lockport, where it opened in 1987. On January 6, 2001, the Gallery opened the doors to its new home in the historic Norton Building. This massive structure of locally quarried dolomite limestone was built by Lockport business mogul Hiram Norton (1799-1875) around 1850. Strategically placed at the edge of the Illinois & Michigan Canal, the building was originally used to store, process and package barrels of grain before distribution. The Gallery s adaptive reuse of the ground floor triples exhibition space, sensitively links it to the Canal and trail outside, and provides convenient access for individual and group visitors.